I'm trying something new today, in more ways than one! I baked my very first strawberry pie. And I'm posting my very first recipe on the blog. I never meant for this to be a food blog, but I think of this as just one more idea to inspire beauty in your day. For example, you could eat this pie whilst wearing Dannijo, sitting on your brightly decorated patio. I'm full of ideas. Or on a sugar high.
I couldn't decide between fresh strawberries or cooked strawberries, so I did a bit of both! Think La Madeleine meets Marie Callender meets homemade strawberry jam. I couldn't find a recipe that satisfied my craving, so I sort of made one up! A layer of cooked strawberries on the bottom and a layer of fresh ones on top. I highly recommend devouring this with a scoop of ice cream. Or two. Or vanilla yogurt for a waist-friendly option!
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup water
Strawberries (I used two 16oz packs)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all crust ingredients in a bowl, form a ball with the dough and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Finely slice enough strawberries to fill a 9-inch pie tin, keep a separate bowl of strawberries to add on top at the end
- Add the cornstarch and sugar to strawberry filling
- Roll dough into a circle and place it in pie tin
- Fill the crust with strawberry filling
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then add fresh strawberries on top
I'll be honest, it's pretty finger-lickin good for my first time. If I can do it, you can too.
FUN FACT: I do not own a rolling pin. I used a wine bottle
I would love to hear your thoughts!
Lemme know! xo Cristina